The accompanying catalog to the exhibition CUMBI: Textiles, Society, and Memory in Andean South America on view at Tucson Museum of Art October 14, 2023 – February 25, 2024.
- Publicado por el Museo de Arte y Bloque Histórico de Tucson
- Impreso por Arizona Lithographers, Tucson, AZ
- Curator and Author: Kristopher Driggers, Ph.D.
- ISBN 978-0-911611-50-2
- 96 pages, 67 full-color illustrations
- 9×9 inches
- El precio incluye el envío con tarifa de medios nacionales
In the Inka empire, especially fine weavings were known as “cumbi,” a term that brings together ideas about the role of textiles in navigating social relationships and the place of cloth in processing historical memory. CUMBI: Textiles, Sociedad y Memoria en la América del Sur Andina offers a fresh look at over 2,000 years of textiles from the Andes, generating conversations between ancient weavings and contemporary art made in dialogue with traditional works. Across four chapters, this catalogue presents new research on textiles held by the Tucson Museum of Art for decades while also spotlighting the work of artists of Andean heritage who lead the way in understanding the enduring relevance of historical traditions today.