La Casa Cordova, the oldest adobe home in downtown Tucson, is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. La Casa Cordova was built within the area enclosed by the Presidio wall. Some historians believe that La Casa’s original rooms may predate the Gadsden Purchase of 1854. This date of construction is based on the oldest portion of the building, the two back rooms on the south side, which appear on the earliest known map of Tucson, the 1862 Major D. Ferguson map.
La Casa Cordova is named for the Cordova family who acquired the building in 1936 and lived in it from 1944 until 1973.
Installation in the historic La Casa Cordova
Free and open to the public late November through March during regular Museum hours
This installation is an elaborate arrangement of hundreds of miniature figures that depict stories from the Bible as they might have occurred in a Mexican village. Starting in 1978, until 2008, Mexican folk artist Maria Luisa Tena spent months of each year preparing and arranging the nativity display in memory of her mother. The Tucson Museum of Art is proud to house this beloved Tucson tradition and invites all to celebrate the Christmas spirit from November through March each year. Please call the Museum Store at 520-624-2333 ext. 117 to confirm open days.
For Your Information
Records for buildings on the historic block are housed in the Research Library and open to the public during regular library hours.